Skyline Trail- Very Strenuous- 8,400 Feet Gain
Also, there probably will be some ice high up in the area called the traverse. To go across the ice you must have microspikes and poles!
We will take the tram down. The cost for a one-way car is about $12.00. We will then share a cab back to the Museum. The cab fare usually ends up being about $5.00 per person.
I recommend bringing all the regular hiking essentials, AT LEAST 3 liters of water, food or energy bars, gels and definitely electrolytes. Electrolytes are especially important to prevent or stop cramps. I recommend taking electrolytes before you begin the hike.
Also, if a member of the group is struggling or going MUCH slower than the group and if the group then decides that it is in the best interest of everyone for such a member to turn around and head back down the mountain ( only in safe conditions of course) then a struggling or slower member must go down. Such actions ensure the safety of the entire group. Please respect this.
Also, due to the extreme nature of this hike I am closing it for regular sign ups. If you would like to attend please sign up on the waiting list. If I have hiked with you before, know about you or can tell from your prior hiking experience that you will be able to do this hike at a reasonable place, I will add you to the list.
Every year there are many rescues on Skyline and over past years several hikers have died. Please do not attempt this hike unless you know that you are capable of doing it and please bring the necessary essentials. Skyline is especially dangerous in warm or hot weather. Please note that you agree to pay for any medical or legal cost involved in case of an injury to yourself, and request your heirs to respect your agreed waiver in case of a death due to any reason, by signing up for this event.
- Muku Ye~~~e, Jack is back :o) My knee is almost healing. Hope I can make it!!
Posted Wednesday at 8:59 PM
- Jack Pansegrau Muku, good news on your knee! See you Monday.
Posted Thursday at 7:24 AM
- Desmond Hadden Is anyone driving in for the hike from LA? I can cover gas if allowed to carpool, thanks!
Posted Friday at 11:59 AM
- Krai Looks like chance of snow finally this weekend and next Kathryn. Should we pack snowshoes, in case we decide to switch it to tramshoe?
Posted Friday at 3:16 PM
- Kathryn Wow...if it snow that much we will have to change plans. No way I want us to break trail on Skyline in new snow. So sure...if it snows enough, let's just snowshoe to the summit!
Posted Friday at 5:06 PM
- Jack Pansegrau Did Skyline today. Had Micros but icy patches were small enough just used my poles. Great weather and trail is in good condition. See you guys Monday. For sure we'll need poles and I'm bringing Micros - just in case.
Posted Yesterday at 7:07 PM
- Jin hwoo, I am in now. Thanks, Kathryn. Can I get a carpool from OC area?
Posted Yesterday at 8:04 PM
- Muku Wow! Jin is in! (it's rhyme :o) Jin, do you want to meet me @ Corona P&R?
Posted Yesterday at 9:48 PM
- Jin thanks, muku. I sent email to you.
Posted 5 hours ago
- Kathryn Hi everyone...just an update on the weather. It looks quite exciting! we may need to bring rain gear and very warm clothing..
Posted 1 hour ago
- KathrynEvent Host
Assistant OrganizerLooks like I might be able to take MLK day off, Kathryn...however did you see the 40% chance of snow on Sunday now?
- Marilyn Tomsha
This is something I have looked forward to doing.
- Robert Deveraux
Mr. Ranger, Assistant Organizer
- Jack Pansegrau
Indie Jack, Co-Organizer