Friday, October 7, 2011

Skyline Trail on Oct 8/ 2011

The meetup group has a trip to Skyline tomorrow at 5.00 am from the museum

Skyline Trail 8,400' Very Strenuous


Selected By: Kathryn

We'll meet in the Palm Springs Art Museum parking lot
Selected By: Kathryn

101 N. Museum Dr, Palm Springs, CA (map)
This is a beautiful but VERY strenuous hike that ascends about 8,400 feet in about 9 miles. We will start at 5am at the Skyline trailhead, which is next to the Palm Springs Art Museum parking lot. The temperature can drop up to 30 degrees as we ascend, so I recommend bringing appropriate clothing. Please do not sign up for this hike unless you are sure that you can do it! Also, we will go up at a reasonable pace: 6-7 and 1/2 hours. If you feel that you cannot maintain this pace, please do not sign up.
We will take the tram down. The cost for a one-way car is about $12.00. We will then share a cab back to the Museum. The cab fair usually ends up being about $5.00 per person.
I recommend bringing all the regular hiking essentials, AT LEAST 3 liters of water, food or energy bars, gels and definitely electrolytes. Electrolytes are especially important to prevent or stop cramps.
Due to the extreme nature of this hike I am closing it for regular sign ups. If you would like to attend please sign up on the waiting list. If I have hiked with you before, know about you or can tell from your prior hiking experience that you will be able to do this hike at a reasonable place, I will add you to the list.
Waiver:
Every year there are many rescues on Skyline and over past years several hikers have died. Please do not attempt this hike unless you know that you are capable of doing it and please bring the necessary essentials. Skyline is especially dangerous in warm or hot weather. Please note that you agree to pay for any medical or legal cost involved in case of an injury to yourself, and request your heirs to respect your agreed waiver in case of a death due to any reason, by signing up for this event.
  • Mike Weinberg
    Mike Weinberg I'm signing up for Oct 8 in case the predicted T-storms cancel the Oct 1 hike.
    Posted September 29 at 9:13 AM
  • Mike Weinberg
    Mike Weinberg After violent T-storms on Friday, Sep 30, the skies cleared and we had a successful, if hotter than usual, trek to the tram on Oct 1. So I'm withdrawing my RSVP for Oct 8. Have a great hike!
    Posted Monday at 12:01 AM
  • Perry A
  • Perry A
    Perry A I will have to see how much snow comes down in this big storm heading our way.
    Posted Monday at 7:55 AM
  • Kathryn
    Kathryn I don't think we'll get any snow at 8400 feet, but there probably will be some at the peak!! We need to bring warm clothes for the final ascent though...
    Posted Monday at 9:43 PM
  • Kathryn
    Kathryn Awesome you're going with with us Joe. Don't forget to bring earplugs!!
    Posted Wednesday at 3:56 PM
  • Digs
    Digs Hi, Kathryn/Everyone! This will be my first time hiking up Skyline. My first Meet-up hike, actually. With the rain yesterday, how's the weather like on the way, you think? I'm thinking about just wearing shorts & bringing a jacket, no rain gear. What do you think? Also, how many forks are there? (I think it's always good to know, you'll never know). Thanks! See you guys Saturday!
    Posted Yesterday at 1:26 PM
  • reza
    reza Would a C2C be an option for those making it to the tram?
    Posted Yesterday at 3:01 PM
  • Kathryn
    Kathryn Digs, here is a weather forecast for near the top of Skyline:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=33.814525326...
    Most of the hike is in the sun, but the uppermost section...last 2 miles and about the last 2 hours is quite shaded. It can be cold on that section, especially if you stop to rest. I will bring gloves, a fleece and a jacket, just in case. But I will probably hike most of the way in shorts and a T-shirt.
    Posted Yesterday at 3:48 PM
  • Kathryn
    Kathryn Reza, we are all planning on making it to the tram and anyone who wishes of course is free to continue to the peak. I don't plan on going all the way though.
    Posted Yesterday at 3:49 PM
  • Digs
    Digs Thanks, Kathryn!
    Posted 3 hours ago
  • Join this Meetup to add comments or questions.

Join the waitlist?



7 attending
No spots left, 1 person waiting
  • Event Host
    Kathryn
    Organizer
  • Perry A
    Director J.O.E., Co-Organizer
    I want to go but I will cancel if the snow line is too low.
  • Jack Pansegrau
    Indie Jack, Co-Organizer
    Kathyrn, I'd like to 'join' but as I mentioned, on this Skyline, I really want to savor it and enjoy it without any sense of responsibility.
  • 1 waiting
5 not going (see all)
  • Kendall Vaught
    Sorry to miss this wonderful hike but my son has decided to come home for the weekend from college. I can't miss that, of course! Hope you all have a great time!
  • Kristine
    not sure I'm up for this
  • Mike Weinberg
    Had a great time doing this with Kathryn and group with clear skies on Oct 1!
  • Donald Luck
    Darn I'm working that weekend. This is a trip I definitely want to do!
  • Muku
    Sorry, accidentally clicked yes. I will do a week earlier with you, Kathryn. =)
A Pomona group (OTL) is leaving at 3.30 am from the museum
http://otl.pomona.edu/main.php?p=trip_details&trip=988

Please visit my website
http://www.hiking4health.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment