Nanga Parbat, Tomek and Elisabeth left in the night fot the summit - montagna.tv translation supplied
Descision on Nanga Parbat postponed, Urubko in C2 on K2 - by Stefan Nestler
http://asian-alpine-e-news.com/asian_alpine_e-new_issue_no17.pdf -- Asian Alpine E-News - from American Alpine Journal Facebook
http://www.montagna.tv/cms/118056/nanga-parbat-tomek-ed-elisabeth-partiti-nella-notte-per-la-vetta/ -- Nanga Parbat, Tomek and Elisabeth left in the night for the summit - English translation available
Stefan Nestler -- Descision on Nanga Parbat postponed, Urubko in C2 on K2
https://www.facebook.com/cyril.kaicener -- Please log in
Yesterday was one of those epic days on the mountain that I will never forget. The night before, Ellen and I were fretting over where to hike as all of the local mountain tops were predicted in the minus zero temps with wind chill factor. The snow level was low, eliminating most mountain trailheads for our 2 wheel drive cars. I really wasn’t into hiking in the desert because I wanted to get out in the snow. So, with just about every piece of winter apparel we owned, we took the Palm Springs Tram up with absolutely no expectations of what we would be able to do.
I didn’t think there would be any hikers nuts enough to head out in freezing and actively snowing yonder, but there were many like-minded hikers (plus the expected tourists and little kids.)
After many clothing adjustments we finally got in pace and booted it to the top of Mt San Jacinto where we stayed just long enough to take some hasty pics. Then we hung out in the hut awhile and chatted with other trekkers.
The forecast said snow showers until 10 and then mostly sunny. It was mostly cloudy the whole day. We booted it up in 10 inches of scrumptiously dry powder on a fairly good consolidated base. Snowshoes were not necessary.
I won’t even try to say how beautiful it was, just look at the pics!
We had a leisurely time at the tram bar and even had dinner because the line to the boarding area to take the tram back down was horrendous.
Now is the time to go up! By today driving to most trailheads should be doable.
Thank you, Ellen for such a fabulous day!
Please visit my website